Keeping Kisses

Candy Story Part 2...     

Today I grabbed a handful of chocolate kisses left over from valentine's day (that my mom sent me), and walked across campus to the library with the intent that I would give random people chocolate. I have this weird tendency to not want to talk to random people though, so I found myself still holding most of the chocolates when I entered the library. How do I deal with this fear? My natural instinct is avoidance. So then I walked all around the library placing chocolates at tables where people left there stuff but weren't around. I still had a few left so I finally walked up to someone I knew and gave her chocolates and we had a little short chat. Still had two left, plus one that I was saving for me. 

Why is it that I was afraid to talk to people when it shouldn't be about me? Are we like this sometimes with God's love? Are we afraid to give it to others because it means we have to put the social energy forth? I know some people love talking to strangers, and that's great, but for those of you like me, why is this? For one, I am naturally an introvert: someone who needs to recharge after people time. Two, I learned at a young age that people could be mistrustful and mean. (It's called middle school). Three, the biggest, most generalizable reason is: The devil's goal is to isolate us. I know this without a doubt. When I am struggling emotionally in any way, the temptation is to be alone. Have you felt that too? The reality is, God created us for community and dependency on Him. I'm not saying we shouldn't have alone time, or should always be around people. Of course there is a balance for the two. I am asking though, should we be the ones deciding if we give God's love away or not? It is His, after all. It is a gift to us. Let us allow it to overflow to others boldly. 

I'm not preaching because I am perfect. It is clear that I am not. I am still sitting here staring at the two chocolates. They were never mine. Yet I still hesitate. LORD, do not let me get away with living in fear and hesitancy. I pray for your bold overflowing love. Amen.


Peace,

- Megan

Comments