Lonliness vs. Depression

 Lacking a human need vs. Diagnosis

     For me, depression looks like not enjoying the things that usually bring me joy, such as an art project or writing, (which is part of why I have not been writing). I thought, with frustration, that I was falling into depression.

Here is a journal entry from the other night I want to share: 

    "no wonder I get sad and unmotivated when I am lonely...I am not only motivated doing things for people, but rather, doing things WITH people. Life together is what we are created for. I feel no joy in doing things, even things I enjoy, when I am alone every time. I am not depressed; I simply am lacking a human need for wholeness. I lack human relation-aka-doing life with others." 

    If I went to a counselor, they most likely would diagnose me with depression. I would argue that this is a quick answer that does not include all the factors. Humans were created for connection. When we do not have what we are created for, we suffer. This is a natural part of being human. 

    In Genesis 1:18, God says, "It is not good that man should be alone;" 

    Also, mental illness is diagnosed, (or should be diagnosed) when the symptoms cannot be explained by any other factors. (DISCLAIMER: I say this as a psych undergrad, not a professional). I am feeling a lack of joy because I have a lack of connection. I am not depressed, I am a human without other humans. I am lonely.

    Give yourself some grace if you are someone who tends to get frustrated at your brain like I do. It was comforting to me to know that my brain was not overreacting this time.  

"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." -Matthew 11:28-30

Peace of Christ,

-Megan

Comments