Lenten perseverance 2022

 Hello friends! 

As you may recall I chose to turn off the television shows for the whole lenten season. What I knew going in was that I was spending too much time watching tv as a distraction and as a time filler. What I did not know was what was going to come out of all that free time. 

God knew. 

First, I was at a loss of what to do with myself. Normally I turn on a show when I am eating a meal. Now, my thoughts were free to be heard and to wander in the silence; I began to turn to the last thing I expected: prayer. Meal times became prayer times. I would pray for my food, and my body, and then I would pray for my family, my friends, and anything else that came to mind. Every thought was brought before the throne of God at least twice a day if not three times, whereas before, I had prayed exaclty zero times.

Did I keep a perfect streak? Absolutely not. I definitely watched movies as a distraction sometimes. I would sit there while my roommate watched her television show too. That's not the point. The point is I tried and I kept it up most of the time. The point is, I made more space for God to enter into than I had before. That is what matters. Can I get an "Amen"? 

I can't say that I had any crazy awakenings or revelations during any of these times. I can't say that I am a fully new human because of this practice. Still, I made space, and God entered. I think that is all He asks of us. 

Make space. God will do the rest. 

I pray that you have been able to find strength in God and assurance by those around you to keep going even if you do mess up a few times during this lenten season. At the end of it, I hope you are reminded that all is forgiven by the cross. Most importantly, I hope this lenten season included more of God in your life than before, and that the space stays filled with Jesus in the days to come. In the peace of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Hebrews 12:1-3 (NIV) is a good encouragement to make it to the end of this lenten season:


Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. 


Peace to you, ✌

-Megan

Comments